Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I towed a vehicle friend. The vehicle was not his, he

Customer Question

I towed a vehicle for a friend. The vehicle was not his, he was working on it for a customer. The city was getting on him for having an automobile in his yard for so long that he was going to be getting ticketed for said vehicle, thus he called me. I tried
to purchase the automobile, but the owner never showed up with the title. I would like to own the automobile, but how do I go about it legally? The last time it was tagged was 2013, in Michigan, BUT, it is Missouri now. What can I do legally, to obtain this
automobile?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
If your friend is a mechanic, he could hold a mechanics lien against the vehicle for the money that is owed to him. Then he would be able to sell a vehicle under the Missouri mechanics lien statute and you might be able to buy it that way.http://dor.mo.gov/forms/1062.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend is not licensed, nor has a business. He is a shade tree mechanic, so mechanic lean will not work. I don't want the other party to say it's stolen with it setting in my yard! What can I do?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Have a local attorney check the mechanics lien statute to see if your friend must be licensed in order to claim lien rights. Towing services usually charge storage fees and can sell the car for unpaid charges. You might try working a deal with a storage facility. Beyond that, all you can do is call the city to have it towed in as an abandoned vehicle; however, you will lose control of it and most likely will not be able to obtain ownership that way. This is all I can tell you.