Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My boyfriend wants me to run his business without a pay, since its new business and is str

Customer Question

My boyfriend wants me to run his business without a pay, since its new business and is struggling to pay employees at the moment. Should i ask him to make me a partner? If so, what type of partner?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. If you want something for your efforts, and he can't pay you, then asking to be an owner/partner in the business is certainly reasonable. Whether you ask to be a member or a shareholder depends on what type of business it is. If it's an LLC, then you'd ask to be a member....and your ownership interest could be anywhere from 1% to 99% - - depending on what you can agree to. If it is a corporation, then you would be dealing with receiving stock. Also, you could request to be named as an officer, etc.