RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I work retail store in the Rosemont Fashion Outlet.THe mall will not allow employees

Customer Question

I work for a retail store in the Rosemont Fashion Outlet.THe mall will not allow employees to park in their garage on major holidays.There tell the employees to park in another garage that is not adjacent to the mall.The garage is about 2 blocks away.Can they do this?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. It will be my pleasure to assist you. If after reading my answer you need clarification or further information, please use the REPLY feature, and I'll be happy to assist you.To answer your question directly, yes, they can do this. The mall is private property and as such, they are free to put in place procedures or regulations in running their business. As I'm sure you recognize, the idea here is to leave parking free for patrons by having mall employees park elsewhere during peak business days. The only way this could potentially be unlawful would be if the mall put these rules in place only for certain groups. For example making only female or African American employees park in a different parking lot on busy days could be seen as discriminatory.