Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have several issues with my lumbar and cervical spine including

Customer Question

I have several issues with my lumbar and cervical spine including degenerative disc disease, spondylosis, spinal stenosis (I am able to walk without assistive device). I have been in pain management for at least 8 years. I am 56 1/2 y/o and I work as an LPN in a nursing home. The job is very physical. I can not sit or stand for long periods of time without pain & I have really not been able to do my job properly for a long time. I am fortunate that the nurse aids that I have worked with for years are a LOT of help. I am barely making it thru an 8 hour day & only by really pushing myself thru a lot of pain. I feel like I cant do it another day. My neuro does not do RFC, he refers to outside PT and they are expensive and my insurance will not cover it. I realize SSD completes their RFC form according to MD records. Would it be wise to roll the dice first & apply for the SSDI without having my own RFC exam done
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you do not do the RFC with your submission they will deny your claim. If your doctor will not do the RFC and farms them out, then you could consider going to another doctor for a second opinion that your insurance will pay for and who will do a RFC for you. That is really your only option, because SSA has a habit of rejecting claims for no reason at all many times and if you do not have the RFC you are giving them the excuse to do so.