Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

What is the disadvantage of terminating an attorney client

Customer Question

What is the disadvantage of terminating an attorney client relationship when you have not yet found a new attorney?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
1. Finding a new lawyer after you’ve fired your old one will likely be more difficult than hiring a lawyer while you still have one. Lawyers are wary of clients who’ve fired another lawyer. They may think that you are an unreasonable or difficult client. It may be better to objectively speak to the new lawyer in confidence about your issues and get a second opinion from that prospective new lawyer about what to do and involve him in the decision to fire.
2. A new lawyer may need to be on good working terms with the old to facilitate the transition and he may be reluctant to take a case that may have already been screwed up by the first lawyer. You do not want to be left unrepresented in your case while the transition process takes place which could take a few weeks to a couple of months.
3. Finally, the potential new lawyer may have to help you work out a fee agreement between himself, you and the old lawyer. If you fire the old lawyer first, then the old lawyer may not cooperate as easily in the transition.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.