Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

If accused of bigamy in VA, what will happen?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I believe that I have assisted you with your prior concern and I would be happy to do so again. This is the code that governs: § 18.2-362. Person marrying when husband or wife is living; penalty; venue.If any person, being married, shall, during the life of the husband or wife, marry another person in this Commonwealth, or if the marriage with such other person take place out of the Commonwealth, shall thereafter cohabit with such other person in this Commonwealth, he or she shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony. Venue for a violation of this section may be in the county or city where the subsequent marriage occurred or where the parties to the subsequent marriage cohabited.Code 1950, § 20-41; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 2003, c. 99. ----------------Please notice that this is a felony, and the police can indeed press criminal charges. If they refuse, the county District Attorney's office can be notified and requested to seek charges. Sincerely, ***** *****