Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

The question is pepper spray and its use. Recently, I turned

Customer Question

The question is pepper spray and its use. Recently, I turned right out of a parking lot into the inside lane of a four lane street, State Street in Santa Barbara. I saw a motorcycle about three hundred yards back in the outside lane. Clearly, my entrance into the inside lane would not affect him. Nevertheless, this rider with leather and colors and a Nazi helmet began seriously harassing me cutting in front cutting in back and giving me the finger as expected. My escape was into a parking lot lots of manuvers and I was lucky enough to ditch him.
I carry pepper spray in my car both bear spray Kimber stream spray. I carry it mostly, because I am a dog handler for an SAR team and we can run into tough situations.
Under what condition cold I have hosed this jerk down. OC spray is legal in California and is not lethal.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear you have endured this situation.
I suggest that anytime you feel you are in imminent danger of harm to your person, you can legally use the spray in self defense. You are legally permitted to use "Reasonable" efforts in protection
For purposes of the self-defense legal defense, “reasonable under the circumstances” means that you need to have:
1 Reasonably believed that you were in imminent danger of being killed, injured, or touched unlawfully
2 Reasonably believed that you needed to use force to prevent that from happening, and
3 Used no more force than was necessary to prevent that from happening.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you