Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
9200179

I'm a Canadian citizen but hold a permanent green card in the

Customer Question

I'm a Canadian citizen but hold a permanent green card in the USA. I have a house in canada that I've been trying to sell but can't. If I decided to give the house up and loose it to my lender what will that do to my credit in the USA?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
Fortunately, nothing. The credit systems of both countries are totally separate. I just helped a person from Canada immigrate to the U.S. and we were talking about how he has amazing credit in Canada, he has a multi-million dollar business, but he has to start from zero in the U.S. and just got a secured credit card with a limit of $300 if you can believe it! So he has to start from scratch and what happens in Canada has no effect on credit in the U.S.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I walk away from my house nothing will appear in my USA credit score or in any records? Would I have to file bankrup in Canada?
Correct, it would not appear in the U.S. system. As far as bankruptcy in Canada, I really cannot tell you, but if you want to avoid having to pay out a judgment, you may want to declare bankruptcy. Also, it MIGHT be possible that they may not pursue you in the U.S. for the judgment. But filing bankruptcy should prevent it either way. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my best bet is to reach out to my lending company and walk away without filing bankruptcy as I do not have any other bills in canada. I jusy confused as to how it all works but it sounds like it would be 2 very different things correct?
Correct, it would be totally separate. Your U.S. credit would not be affected. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!