Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I live in Missouri and me and my son got in to a argument because

Customer Question

I live in Missouri and me and my son got in to a argument because his boyfriend got in to my wallet and stole a credit card, I told my son that he was not allowed to be around this kid and that I was calling the police, this insued a huge verbal argument when out of the blue he stated that 11 years ago when he was five I once touched him on his genitals while he was asleep, he is 16 will be 17 in to mth, I have never done what he is saying and it makes my skin crawl, I feel like he is trying to get even because of what happened with his boy friend, what could I be facing ?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. I don't have access to the codes or sentences from back then (11 years ago) but it would be some form of sexual assault and would be a felony. My guess is that back then it would have been a Felony Class C or D which could carry a punishment of up to 4 or 7 years in prison. However, that doesn't mean 1) you would actually get convicted or 2) you would actually get prison time. An allegation like this is very, very hard for the prosecution to prove since it occurred so long ago, there was only one instance, and the child didn't tell anyone until 11 years later. These kinds of cases are very easy to defend by taking the position that it didn't happen and the child either dreamt it or just made it up.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
At this point DO NOT talk to anyone about this other than a lawyer. If the boy does report it then do not give a statement to anyone, answer questions, etc without a lawyer present. It will not help you, despite what they tell you, it can only hurt you.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
By getting a lawyer involved it is very likely they can get this handled with as little trouble as possible and there is a very real chance they can prevent charges from even being filed. The sooner you hire them the better.