Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I contracted to have a home remodel and decided not to pay

Customer Question

I contracted to have a home remodel and decided not to pay final bill (about 14%) of
original contracted price due to below industry standard work that will need to be torn down
and completely re-done. (deemed so by an industry expert) Is contractor entitled to
and part of unpaid balance since job deemed to be below standard?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. This is a very complex question.......and the answer depends on several factors. First, if the contractor did the remodel in accordance with the plans and specifications, then it is likely that he's entitled to be paid. However, if the work was not done in accordance with the plans and specifications and was done improperly, then you could refuse payment due to the sub-standard work and seek another contractor's assistance.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't mean that the contractor will accept your opinion or the industry expert's opinion......and he could sue for the unpaid balance......and if that occurs, the judge will have to decide the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, found you
I have taken this to the CSLB in CA, Contractors state License Board, we are set for arbitration next month. The CSLB sent out their
own industry expert. Now, the contractor is claiming additional expenses and interest for more that dbl the original amount due
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If the additional expenses are not covered in your contract, and you did not authorize the work or enter into a change order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
.......then you should not be responsible for the expenses.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
All boils down to what your contract says and whether the work done was proper or not. If it was sub-standard, then you should have a defense to paying.