Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Mr. X a real estate agent owes me $7,400.00 supported by a

Customer Question

Mr. X a real estate agent owes me $7,400.00 supported by a promissory note dated 5/20/15. This was money given to said person for a real estate transaction which was later cancelled by agreement. Earliest request for this money was around 4/16/15 said to be in a trust fund. Went to collect on promissory note 5/20/15 but was told he used the money to refinance his own personal property and will get it the following week. No luck so far and week after week he has a story for me. I no longer think he plans to give me this money
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.What state is this in?Does the promissory note contain due date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex!
This happened in Florida.
Yes the due date was 5/20/15.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I originally contracted this person to do a short sale on my house. The money was for that. I later changed my mind and opted for a modification instead. He agreed to return the money.
Thank you for your follow up.
Generally, is the person who owes a debt outlined in a promissory note fails to repay the debt by the due date, then it would generally be a good idea to send a demand letter for the payment with a copy of the promissory note to the debtor by certified mail with return receipt requested and give debtor 30 days to fully repay the debt or to face legal action.
If the debtor does not repay the debt after 30 days from the receipt of the demand letter, then a lawsuit can be filed for the full amount of the debt, plus court costs and attorney's fees.
I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What paperwork do i need to file this covil case myself?
Thank you for your follow up.
Unfortunately, because a lawsuit for over $5000 would have to be filed in the local county court, there is no standard forms or documents and you or your local attorney would have to draft both summons and complaint and to attach any exhibits to your complaint, however, any personally identifiable / confidential information is generally has to be redacted from the court pleadings.
I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you.