Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

Can a boss borrow money from an employee without signing a

Customer Question

can a boss borrow money from an employee without signing a contract?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. As for the original question, yes, anyone can borrow money from someone else without signing a contract as long as the other person is willing to give money before they get a signed contract. That said, oral agreements are just as binding as written ones, just harder to prove. Your daughter can file suit in small claims court and the court will find on her behalf if they believe her over her former employer. In other words, any evidence that she has that the money she withdrew actually went to her boss will be helpful. She can subpoena witnesses if she has them. If not, she testifies, the boss testifies and the court makes a decision based on what they have in front of them. She doesn't have to have an attorney to go to small claims court. Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.