Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

About a month ago my gf and I applied apartment lease

Customer Question

About a month ago my gf and I applied for an apartment lease in Houston, TX. She was accepted while I was turned down. Four year old eviction. I went on to live there anyway with her permission, but now I want to leave but she does not want me too. I have paid my share of all bills rent, utilities and food. Can I get in any trouble . She says she will turn me in to the Apt MGR if I go....but remember I had her [gf] complete permission and indulgence. Please help me as I am 63, disabled and in a heckuva pickle. Can I get in any legal trouble. I am in Texas...Houston
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. There is nothing the manager or your gf can do. You did not sign the lease and so you were basically just an "at will tenant" which is treated legally as a month to month subtenant of your gf. If there was a provision in the lease which prohibited her from allowing you to live there, it would be her breach not yours as she's the one with the privity of contract. As a month to month tenant, you have the right to terminate your tenancy at any time by giving her 30 days written notice. After that, you have no obligation to your gf or the apartment manager. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to let you know that I will be logging off for the evening. Should you have a follow up, I will address it first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.