LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My Daughter lives with her grandmother.A complaint has been

Customer Question

My Daughter lives with her grandmother.A complaint has been filed for elderly abuse against my daughter. Her grandmother is her legal guardian.they live in a private residence.Her grandmother is staying with my daughters uncle.He changed the locks on the house and said she cannot have access to her stuff.he said that he was advised by the people he filed the complaint with to do this.does that sound right.my daughter has been living with her grandmother for over 11 years that is her place of residence.can she have access
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
No, that sounds like illegal action and I don't believe any government agency advised the uncle to do that.
Unless and until the uncle gets an eviction from the court he cannot force your daughter out of the residence---only the police or a judge can do that.
Your daughter should call the police and ask them to assist her in getting back into the place where she has resided for the past 11 years.
Your daughter can also sue the uncle for illegal eviction. I have seen case like this result in the wrongfully evicted tenant receive as much as $10,000 in damages from the landlord. And the fact that she may not pay rent does not mean that she cannot sue and win. She appears to have a meritorious case.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug