Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is it illegal to sell counterfeit items in U.S?

Customer Question

I have an Instagram and i sell original and replicas out of usa but sometimes some girls contact me to sell her brand name replicas that i send directly from china . is illegal to sell to somebody a bag or shoes if is directly china to their addresses in USA?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
It is illegal to sell counterfeit bags and shoes in the US, which means that if they are inspected, they can be confiscated by customs. If that happens, law enforcement in the US would have no jurisdiction in China, so you can't end up arrested for this. But your buyer may not get her goods, and if she is looking to resell the goods, she can find herself in legal difficulty if the real companies find her items. She can face heavy fines.