LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was contacted by a person who represented himself as a representativ

Customer Question

I was contacted by a person who represented himself as a representative of the Consumer Protection Agency about a "prize" that I had won. He said his name was Alex Hill, Badge # ***** and was in Arlington Va.
He said that I had won $375K, and referred me to a party in Las vegas that would tell me how to get the money. Turns out that he wanted $375 from me to pay an Ohio Registration fee to process the funds to my bank. All this souns like a fraud.
Do you have a Mr Alex Hill, Badge # ***** in your office in Arlington?
Thanks for a response.
Lawrence Venable
Cincinnati, Ohio (###) ###-####***@******.***
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Do you recall entering a contest for a prize like this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must have done do, but do not recall speciphycaly. I get so many scam letters. I have answered several of them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
speciphycaly- That was a phonetic spelling!!!
Thank you. This is likely a scam, as nobody is just giving away 375k. Moreover, I have never heard of anyone needs to pay a "fee" to claim money which they won. Taxes? Yes to the government but never to someone in Las Vegas, to process the funds to your bank. If you want, advise this person that you do not want a bank transfer and to just send the check in the mail or even offer to go claim the funds, in person. I am willing to bet they back off or give you some excuse. Do not be fooled and do not lose 375 as people like this prey on the desire of others to obtain a large amount of money and often are blinded in the excitement, about the scam. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realized that this is likely a scam, and that is why I wanted to know if there was a guy at the Consumer Protection Agency by that name that I gave you. I thought that you were a part of their organization because that is when your site showed up while I was on line with them!. If you are not a part of the Consumer Protection Agency, then this must have been a "pop-up" when I was accessing their website! Are you a part of the Consumer Protection Agency?
No we are not and not affiliated with them at all. If this was a mistake and you do not want to proceed then simply
Contact customer service and they can issue you a refund
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I contact them? Is there a phone No. or email?
Thanks
Yes certainly. The number is ***** the bottom of this link
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/About-AG/Organizational-Structure/Consumer-Protection
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am not in a position to speak on the phone now but would be happy to answer any other questions your have.