WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I used to work gallery that has now fired me from their

Customer Question

I used to work for a gallery that has now fired me from their employ. I was director and artist in Residence. I sold a number of pieces as preorders that still need to be completed. Can they act against me legally if some of those collectors cancel their order through the Signature Gallery, I refund their initial deposit, and they purchase directly through me? (AKA avoiding the gallery comission?) I did not sign a noncompete when entering their employ. Thank you.
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 1 year ago.
This is an unfortunate situation, any contract you may have had with the employer would have to state who is entitled to the fees, however, if you have no non compete agreement, and the customer cancels their orders from the gallery,
Nothing is legally stopping them from hiring you directly to finish the art. Unless you signed some non solicit or some language exists in your contract stating otherwise, you can enter into contracts with whomever.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you