Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I've been living with a man 28 years, I'm a female

Customer Question

I've been living with a man for over 28 years, I'm a female age 60 now, we've always rented, he recently built a huge house and told me I'm not going with him for various reasons. I'm going to lose my job soon, I have arthritis and I'm not as mobile as I used to be and no money to speak of, so I'll be out on the street. Do I have any rights?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
It will mostly depend on if you live in a state that recognizes common law marriage. Which state have you both been living in all these years? Have you put any of your own money into the construction of this new house? Are you on the title, deed, and or mortgage of the new house?