Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I received a call from a company that takes on liens and other

Customer Question

I received a call from a company that takes on liens and other issues from Credit Card companies. They told me that I had a debt with Discover Card from 1999 and that is was for about $8,500....I was in a financial mess at the time, divorce, two young children and no income to speak of. They said that the company has a judgment against me and is going to pursue it and they are giving me the opportunity to settle. The debt is now up to over $21,000 and they want $25.00 a month. They said that the company is going to go after my income. Which by the way is Social Security retirement income.
They have my Social Security Number and seem to know the state I live in.
My question is do I need to deal with this? Can they get a judgment, is it valid since it is such an old debt?
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Can you tell me when the last time you made a payment on the debt?
.
Were you ever actually sued by the creditor in court and had a judgment entered against you?
.
Where were you living when the debt went into default?
.
.
thanks