Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

My brother in law has a legal arbritration agreement but the

Customer Question

my brother in law has a legal arbritration agreement but the other party refuses to give him the money and property that was ordered which has caused him to lose his home and just about everything. Can he has this person arrested for theft?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
NO. The criminal process cannot be used to enforce an arbitration award. That is a civil matter for which your brother-in-law can sue for damages based upon the other party's failure to perform according to the arbitration agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can he sue without a lawyer? He has no money because of this person not giving him what he was supposed to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Yes. In the US, courts are open to members of the public to bring their cases without lawyers. However, a suit to enforce an arbitration award might attract an attorney who will handle it on a contingency fee basis. That is, for a percentage of the recovery. it shouldn't be that difficult if the arbitration award is for a specific dollar amount of recovery. In effect, he already has a judgment, and it is just a matter of trying to collect it. In my opinion he would be better off offering a collection attorney a percentage rather than trying to pursue a civil lawsuit on his own.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again. Do you have any further questions? If not, I hope that you will take the time to enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.