How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26765
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please advise, I was served a summons to appear in san Antonio

Customer Question

Please advise, I was served a summons to appear in san Antonio court on 6/30 in answer to a child custody allegation. I live in Livingston tx. I have no way to get to san Antonio and don,t even know if this child is mine. How if possible can this be changed to a closer court, where do I go from here
Thank you
joseph Briske
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. When were you served? The 30th is in 2 days so I am curious as to how much time you have had? Also, is this person trying to claim you as the father? You said this is for child custody?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to speak with you on the phone at this time but if you can respond online, I would be happy to answer your questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was given notice on 5/12. I have not been able to raise the money , my question is can this be transferred to polk county since there has never been anything to prove I am the father, If so do you have someone that is able to handle this
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. In order for a court to hear a matter, they need to have jurisdiction. In a case that involves a child and custody or paternity, it would be the State and County where the child resides. As such, a motion to change the venue/jurisdiction would not be able to be filed and granted, based upon what you shared above. In a situation like this, a party would file an answer to the petition and deny the allegations and raise any defenses which they may have. Moreover, a motion to appear by phone could be filed, if good cause and a hardship could be shown, as to why you could not appear in person. It seems very odd that a completely random person served you with a summons and complaint regarding a child that is not yours, so I am inclined to believe they are trying to get support. I understand that you have no way of getting to San Antonio, so so steps needed to be taken prior to, for arrangements to appear by phone. If you fail to appear, a default will likely be entered against you and then you would need to try and vacate the default and answer and defend the allegation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered a ad on Christion mingle about four years ago where I met this woman, I saw her two times when she lived in Houston tx. with her mother, we were intimate once or twice and I never saw her after that. Then I was served the summons
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
If protection was not used, then it is possible that she got pregnant and had the baby. Her reason for coming after you now may be for child support and to establish you as the father, is hopes that you become involved in the childs life but before anything, a paternity test needs to be done. Once that happens, then you will know what your responsibility is going to be, which is anything, would be financial. This women may not even be sure who the father is and is trying to go back and think about men she was intimate with during that time period, to find the father
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please advise me what to do now. can I get an attorney to appear for me and request a dna test. does your office provide this service.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Our site can not represent you. However, you can 100% retain legal counsel and have them appear on your behalf. They can answer the complaint and deny all allegations and a paternity test can be demanded and the Judge will likely grant and allow it to be done, to determine if this matter should proceed or be dismissed. You would be required to submit to the test and if it is determined that you are the father, the mother could seek child support from you.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!