TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Just one additional question regarding medical bill debt and

Customer Question

Just one additional question regarding medical bill debt and statute of limitstions, if the creditor started the suit process back in February (served me papers on 2/25/15) does this mean that they are still within their rights to pursue settlement of
the debt because the 6 years hadn't technically expired then when the process started? Thanks for your help. I would be happy to provide positive feedback. Thanks.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. The answer to your question is yes. Filing the lawsuit alone is all that's required. The lawsuit doesn't have to be completed, and they don't even need to serve you within 6 years. The lawsuit just needs to be filed within 6 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I determine when the lawsuit was filed? I have a "COMPLAINT" from the plaintiff and a summons that has a "subscribed and sworn before me on Feb 25, 2015" - is this the document that formally files the lawsuit? Or is there some other document that I should be looking for or asking for if it was not given to me? Thanks again
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. You can check with the court clerk where the lawsuit is filed. The court clerk can tell you exactly when the lawsuit was filed. The date of the summons may be after the lawsuit was filed, since the summons may not have been issued on the same day that the lawsuit was filed.