Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I just received an ga unemployment audit inquiry from the state

Customer Question

I just received an ga unemployment audit inquiry from the state of ga for the year of 2014. I mistakenly claimed benefits thinking after 13-14 years of work I was entitled to 18 months of unemployment total. All of this was done online and over the phone- the new way of filing for unemployment. My previous experience with unemployment is you physically have to go to file unemployment and file for weekly payments. The bot***** *****ne is I made a major mistake. I do not want to run but own up to my mistake. They gave me a piece of paper asking me to report my earning from 02/12/14 - 06/27/14 I believe. They asked for a response by 06/29/15 (I just checked my mail today and the mail was there). I plan on going to my local DOL first thing Monday morning to talk to them face to face to hopefully resolve this issue. I need some legal advice. Thank you!
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Please be advised that we here cannot act as counsel for you, and we cannot directly provide you with legal advice. While I can provide you with legal information, I cannot act as counsel for you. Would that suffice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please proceed...
Thank you for your understanding. I do understand your situation as well--what specifically can I help answer for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received an ga unemployment audit inquiry in the mail from Georgia department of labor (response by 062915 is requested). This form is asking for specific dates and any amount of money I earned during these dates 02.14.24- 06.27.14. I assumed I was entitled to all 18 weeks of unemployment benefits, obviously not. My ignorance is not an excuse. I pulled unemployment while employed 14 out of the 18 weeks. Do I need a lawyer advice before returning this for to the ga department or labor or should I complete the form, admit my ignorance and ask to be put on a repayment plan that they offer for overpayment. Please advise.
Did you calculate as yet as to how much you were overpaid, and are you able to pay this all back at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm able to pay it back with payments --yes. I was paid 330.00 per week. I started work the week of 03-27-14 so I calculate I was overpaid 14 weeks @330.00 per week. I will have no problem with paying it back with fines and interests.
Hi,That is fantastic news. In that case do not, as yet, file anything in writing. Appear in person, bring your correspondence, AND a check book. Speak with their supervisor or director of the office, point out that this was in error on your end, and ask them to calculate the amount you received in error. Offer to pay but ask that they, immediately, daft a letter that upon this receipt and cashing of the check they agree to waive all further civil or criminal charges against you based on this issue. Since there is a potential risk of 'fraud', get it in writing that they are waiting their ability to pursue once your check clears...and do not leave without that letter. Luckily the agency generally cares only that they receive the funds, so if you appear and pay in good faith, that should be the end of it, but giving them a paper trail right now is not prudent. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello...I can not pay the entire balance at one time but I can make say 6 or 12 payments to pay this balance off in full. Will this make a difference or do I follow your previous advice?
Hi, If you cannot pay the balance then ask for a payment plan. But request that this letter be provided to you at the end of payment. If at all possible try to pay this off at once, as that creates less risk of the agency later pursuing claims against you. But if you cannot afford a full payment then create a payment plan, have them sign it where they agree that so long as you remain current they won't pursue other actions against you. Sincerely, ***** *****