Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Does a leasing merchant in a strip mall have the legal right

Customer Question

Does a leasing merchant in a strip mall have the legal right to reserve 2 parking spots in front of his door with the threat of towing car parked there if owner of car did not do business with said merchant.
This merchant does not own the strip mall.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Assuming that the parking spots are on private property as well then the use of the lots are determined by the contractual arrangements with the mall owner. If the mall owners has given the merchant the exclusive rights to the two parking spots then the answer to your question would be yes, although they would have to have the spots clearly marked as being exclusively reserved and that other vehicles would be towed or else the merchant could be held responsible for any damages that result from the towing.