Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I have been paying my sister rent in a home 14 years

Customer Question

I have been paying my sister rent in a home for us 14 years ago. She gets very upset when I ask if I can pay in 2 payments. Paid her $84,000 so far. I have no savings just what I get in with social security and other income. Do I need to keep paying her. I really do need help. Phone ***-***-****
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, in whose name is ***** ***** for the home? Do you live on the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Home on title is Mary Ellen Stanford. I have been living in the home for 14 years. Husband passed in 2003.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will harass me if I stop paying her. I have a reverse mortgage on the home.
Hi, and I am assuming that the name on title is your sisters, or is the name yours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the name on the title is my name. I pay the taxes and everything.
Then I am unclear as far as paying rent if you own the property. Can you please clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will harass me something terrible. I signed a note she wrote out when we moved in to pay muntil she passes. The home will be mine then. She will be 80 in October. Why do I have to pay her any more if I don't have it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in very bad health and does not communicate with me at all.
Hi, I am more confused now then ever. If you are on title, then you do not pay rent UNLESS there is a contractual obligation to do so. If you signed the note for the property, then if the note is not paid you have to cover the costs but that is about it. But when you say that 'the home will be [yours] then..' I get unclear as to whose name the title is listed under. If you and her are both on title, neither of you have to pay rent to each other. And likewise if the title is purely under your name without a lien or mortgage, you do not have to pay rent. But if property is under her name, she can continue charging you rent. Sincerely, ***** *****