Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was a passenger on a motorcycle in virginia on 4/6/ 2015

Customer Question

I was a passenger on a motorcycle in virginia on 4/6/ 2015 when we were struck from behind and thrown from a motorcycle. I am still receiving treatment for injuries and have just started receiving bills for my co pays. Should i pay them? When should I file a demand letter after an accident what should I include in it . And how do I find out how much insurance coverage the guilty party has.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You probably want to stay paying because the other person's insurance company isn't going to pay anything until you are ready to complete the case and settle everything at once. Not paying what you owe will just harm your credit and may prevent you from getting medical help.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
We aren't allowed to actually give you specific language to put in letters or pleadings but if you are going to try and settle it yourself without a lawyer what I would suggest is getting a good book on the topic like the one at this page. To stand any chance of settling at a reasonable amount you have to understand how an adjuster thinks and what you can do to increase your chances. Just writing them a letter isn't going to do anything other than get you an offer that is the absolute minimum.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
As far as when to send a demand letter my suggestion is not to send it until at least a few months after you receive your last medical treatment and experience your last medical problem from the wreck. You don't want to settle your case and then find out you need another $10k worth of medical treatments because you only get one shot at it.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
As far as find out how much insurance they have, you can ask them but there is nothing that requires them to tell you until you actually file a lawsuit and many of the won't share the information with you until then.