Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My friend lives in Michigan and has been trying to work with

Customer Question

My friend lives in Michigan and has been trying to work with Nissan to make arrangements on her late payments but they are still trying to reposess her car. Can she be charged criminally for hiding it? Can I if she hides it at my house?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.There is a charge called Hindering a Secured Creditor in most states. The name changes depending on the state but the law is essentially the same.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I've never seen anyone actually charged for hiding a vehicle but the key is that the person can't lie to the creditor. They can refuse to talk to them and not answer their questions if they ask where the vehicle is but they can't take it out of state and they can't lie about where it is.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
As far as you being charged, it's extremely unlikely it could happen just because you allowed a friend to park their vehicle at property you owned.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You can not say "never" because it take almost nothing to charge someone but it would be extremely unlikely you would be charged and almost impossible to convict you unless you did something more than just let her park it there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand all of that but what are the Michigan specific rules?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
There are no "rules". If you're asking for specific case law cites I'll have to opt out.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
The case law search costs hundreds of dollars to run, not including the time it takes.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
If you are just wanting a link to the specific penal code section I can get that for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Give me just a couple of minutes to find it. The MI website is extremely slow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I found the one on moving it out of state but they've moved the one on hiding it in general to a different section, it used to be in the same section. I'll keep looking but there's no need for you to wait online for it. The one on taking a liened car out of state is at http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(iegqgxanfxubaq5zc5dvfzhu))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-418
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
and this one http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(iegqgxanfxubaq5zc5dvfzhu))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-417 but it still isn't the one you need
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to have to opt out. They have moved it three times and I can find each of the three places where it used to be but not the new statute. I'll open it back up to other experts.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Someone should be back with you shortly