How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28476
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do when someone is harrassing me by emails and text

Customer Question

What can I do when someone is harrassing me by emails and text messages? Need guidance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
You can file a police report. Harassment is a disorderly person's offense. N.J. Stat., Section 2C:33-4. Each phone call is a new, separate criminal charge. They can be assessed a fine for each time it happens. The judge can also order them to refrain from further contact with you. Then, if they call again, it's contempt of court, which could mean jail time.
Repeated harassment following a conviction is stalking, which could also carry jail time. So the best thing to do is report every incident.
Police have the ability to investigate even if the calls are from different numbers. Just take your phone and show them what you have, tell them whatever you know, and they'll go from there.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Legal Questions