CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a question my 96 year old grandmother that lives in

Customer Question

I have a question my 96 year old grandmother that lives in California passed away this past Sunday on Father's Day. Yesterday evening I got an email from my aunt that lives out there only 5 minutes from where she lived. She sent the email to me, my brother and my other cousins saying that the lawyer needs the Skcial Security Number of everyone listed in the will. Why would the lawyer need our Social Security Number what would this indicate if he needs our Social Security Number since we are in the will.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
If the attorney is putting together financial bequests (such as stock portfolios or transfers from investment funds) financial institutions will request this information as part of the transaction.However, you can often request that your own financial advisor contact the executor (or their attorney) to make the transaction from the beneficiary's side. However, in a lot of cases, in order to receive a financial bequest, the beneficiary is going to need to give this information in order to fulfill bank record keeping and tax filing obligations of the estate.If your grandmother had a will instead of a trust, her estate is going to be distributed through "probate" so this matter will be handled through the probate process, you can confirm with the County Court's online register of actions that probate has been filed and confirm the attorney's name, and even contact the law firm directly if you like to see if you can have your financial representative handle this transaction from your side.