LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was recently pulled over in a rental car that contained marijuana

Customer Question

i was recently pulled over in a rental car that contained marijuana hidden the trunk, is there any law that can help me due to the fact this wasn't my car neither items?? i really feel this isn't fair... please help
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Who did you rent the car from? How much marijuana was found? Where was it found?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was rented from hertz however i borrowed the rental from my friend and i ran a stop sign and was pulled over, more than 20 grams was wrote down, somewhere in the trunk of the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still online?
Thank you for the additional information. The fact that it was not your car is not a defense to say the marijuana was not yours. However, you could have a legal defense to fight this, since it was not in your actual possession but in the truck, of a rental car, which you borrowed. If it was your friends car, it is possible it was his and he should testify to the same on your behalf. If he refuses, then you would need to go to trial and convince the Judge or Jury that it was not yours, you did not have knowledge of it and since it was hidden, would have never placed you on notice that something illegal was in it. In addition, it seems odd that the police would search the truck when you were pulled over for running a stop sign, so there could be a motion to suppress, if they had no legal basis to search the vehicle and trunk. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!