Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Someone is using my social security number to take out small

Customer Question

Someone is using my social security number to take out small loans. Now the companies are coming after me. The home address and bank account are different but they are using my name, SSN & phone number. What can I do?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today. Contact law enforcement, get the case number ***** you file complaint and they usually will email you the complaint and then report that to the lenders here that it was ID theft.This may also be federal the local police may involve them.You just have to start with the police to have the claim number so the lenders will believe you. They may have forms to fill out too and you need the police case number.I would do this asap.You may also want to report this to social security as well.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
You should go to www.idtheft.gov and report the identity theft to the FederalTrade Commission. Or, you can call 1-877-IDTHEFT(1-***-***-****); TTY1-***-***-****. That website is a one-stop national resource to learn aboutthe crime of identity theft. It provides detailed information to help you deter,detect and defend against identity theft.You also may want to contact theInternal Revenue Service (IRS). http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10064.pdf I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.I wish you the best.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Here are more contacts with social security and their investigative branch.
http://oig.ssa.gov/report-fraud-waste-or-abuse/what-cant-oig-investigate/identity-theft
Thanks again.