Hello my name is ***** ***** my wife and I have a interesting problem. In April of last year, she leased her t. b. mare to a man in Virginia. We are from Idaho Falls, Idaho, and we had the lease
written up by a lawyer here. It basically states that he would ship the mare to a breeding facility of his choose, he is responsible for all expenses, shipping, breeding, mare care, and foal care, also shipping mare back to Idaho. When he sells the foal at auction, we would get $5000.00 if sold as weanling, or $10000.00 if sold as a yearling. The mare was due to foal in April of 2015. As of April 18 2015, we have not been able to contact him, we found out where the mare was kept, and tried to contact them via e-mail and by phone. We finally got a hold of the barn manager in New York state, and she said that the man leasing had gotten sick around Dec. and has not paid his board in 2 or 3 months, and that the horse had a colt, but they had a lien against it for non payment. They were not forth coming with any information about the amount of the back payment. They finally told us that it was $19,000.00. I am not sure about boarding a mare in New York state, but we recently boarded a mare and foal in Idaho, and it was about 425.00 a month, at a Vet. The mare was bred to Noble Causeway, and shortly after he died, so our mare was the last, or one of the last to have a foal by Noble Causeway, so we are thinking the foals price went up. My wife contacted them a day or so ago, and they said that the foal was there's because of the lien, and it would cost us $19,000.00 to get our mare back, plus shipping expense. My wife also contacted the jockey club in Kentucky, and they verbally told her that they cannot register the foal without the proper paperwork from the mares owner, and she is the owner on record for the jockey club, we have not received the actual paperwork confirming that yet, but the colt has not been registered as of yet. We do not have, or ever had, a verbal, or contractual, agreement with the facility in New York. We have paperwork for breech of contract
with the man who leased our mare, but have had absolutely no luck in contacting him. What would be our options? can we legally have the mare and foal picked up? They seem to be holding the mare and foal hostage.
any advise would be helpful.