Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I understand that in Arizona a bartender has the right to refuse

Customer Question

I understand that in Arizona a bartender has the right to refuse service to a customer.
If a customer is a active life member of a VFW Post and a upright person but there are personal pass disputes between the bartender and the customer, such as, the bartender says this about me, [rumors] the customer says this about me, [rumors]... question is, does the customer have a right to be served if it as taken to a civil court?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, most courts don’t allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions. However, if the reason is not discriminatory based on these particular provisions, then a restaurant/bar/bartender generally has the right to refuse service. The most common reasons to refuse service would be if the patron is unreasonably rowdy or causing trouble, lacking adequate hygiene, etc. In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself. So, if there are past disputes between the bartender and the patron, that could be a reasonable basis to refuse service to prevent a confrontation of some kind. BUT, if the patron believes that the refusal of service is because of race, color, religion, or national origin, or a disability, then there would be grounds to pursue.