CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

West Virginia Law: We bought a property there and at the

Customer Question

West Virginia Law: We bought a property there and at the time gave my stepfather a lifetime right ... because of a pending court case a deed was not filed ... it took time to find the relative we bought it from but since then my dad filed a quit claim deed as if they deeded the property to him and says he owns it ... My relative is now located and the deed will be signed and filed ... also we have the paperwork done with the attorney when bought.. Does his action violate his life time right or does he even have one now ? What to do ?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Your father has filed a competing deed to the property (the deed he filed claims that he owns the property outright).If he refuses to sign a document voiding the quitclaim deed, you will need to file what is called a "quiet title" action in civil court to contest his claim to the property and establish your own.You really need to hire a lawyer at this point - your father has created a "cloud on title" and you need legal help to clean this up properly. If your father is willing to cooperate it should be relatively inexpensive, but if he refuses, it can be somewhat time consuming.