Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I live in Massachusetts and I recently received a bill for

Customer Question

I live in Massachusetts and I recently received a bill for $105.00 for a co-pay that I never knew existed. It dates back to 2006 when I had surgery that got infected and after returning home, was almost immediately sent to another hospital where I was put into an induced coma and ended up spending three months in that hospital. If I ever got this bill back in 2006, it must have been lost in the shuffle of what was going on at the time. Am I still responsible for paying this 2006 bill?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
The statute of limitations on breach of contract is only 6 years. A bill from 2006 cannot be collected in 2015. The only exception would be if you made a written promise to pay AFTER the statute of limitations expired. The hospital cannot collect, and it would be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for any collections agency to seek to collect on their behalf.
If the debt appears on your credit report, you could actually dispute it based on how much time has passed. You can view your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.