Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

What does it mean to have a judgement filed against you?

Customer Question

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
It means the creditor filed a collection suit if you have not paid the debt involved.One they get a judgment--thats the court order from the collection suit for the amount you owe they can levy--get a court order to claim the money in your bank accounts in your name.They can also record judgment and it liens any real estate that you own.
If you have banks accounts in your name you may want to put them in relatives name or go cash only here to protect yourself from such a levy on your account.
You can try to resolve it for payments you can afford.You also have right to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy to discharge your debts including this judgment.
It allows you to start fresh after you have been discharged by the bankruptcy court.
You may want to check into that if they are harassing you about this debt.
Free self help with forms to do that.
http://www.legalconsumer.com/bankruptcy/filing/state.php?st=NC
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.