Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

My son had his vehicle repossessed and the tow company sent

Customer Question

My son had his vehicle repossessed and the tow company sent a letter stating that he needed to come and pick up his personal belongings. My son is a disabled veteran and was admitted to the hospital shortly after the repossession for medical complications. He was released from the hospital about 3 weeks later. He contacted the tow company and was told that they did not have his personal belongings and that they no longer had the vehicle. Who is responsible for the return of his personal items, the tow company or the finance company.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
It would be the finance company / lender as the tow company is merely the lender's agent. The lender is not entitled to keep his personal property. If your son wants to recover personal property from the vehicle, he can demand it from the lender. The lender should either return that property to him or else allow him access to the vehicle so he can take the personal property himself. I would suggest that your son immediately contact the lender by phone and by letter to that effect. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off. If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK". Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The lender is Ford motor credit and I have tried to communicate

With some one in authority to help me. They have and continue to give me the run around. Please advise .

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
If they do not want to work with you voluntarily, then you will need to sue them for civil conversion. You can do this in small claims court. I would include the towing company just in case Ford says there was no personal property in the vehicle and they point the finger to the tow company.
http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/forms/civil/dccv001br.pdf
The link above should help you get started.