Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in the Bronx, NY. This past November 10,2015, I had a

Customer Question

I live in the Bronx, NY. This past November 10,2015, I had a fire in my apartment contained to the kitchen. Management and I ARE NOT/ NOR HAVE BEEN on fairly good terms. I am handicap (mobility) and won the apartment in a NYC Housing lottery; was the first
tenant moved into the unoccupied bldg. The building was only 4 mths old when the tenant in 5F activated his water sprinkler. I live in 2F. It was Labor Day weekend and I was not @ home when the incident took place. I wound up with extensive personal property
loss. In addition, My apartment suffered structural damages which have caused serious medical issues ie. resporitory/breathing problems caused by MOLD which has NEVER been corrected. Although, I did the whole Housing Court deal; Stipulations ordered 3 times...Not
only has Management NOT made ANY repairs... They went to Code Enforcement and signed off Certifying Corrections WERE made!!! Now, more than 4 yrs later, if ONLY Mgmt HAD made repairs, one of which was an HPD VIOLATION issued for NO SMOKE DECTOR. Whereby that
significant item makes Mgmt LIABLE for the lost/and damage to my personal property contained in the kitchen. I filed a Small Court Case in the max amount of $5,0000. When the fire dept yanked the stove from the wall and left it in the middle of the kitchen
of my small one bdrm apt.., The gas power was turned off and Con ED came later that night and tagged the stove "to be replaced by Mgmt within 72 hrs". Well, Mgmt DID NOT make the timely replacement. 44 days later...only once I finally had legal step in did
I get a stove. QUESTION: since I was NOT able to cook or even boil a pot of water for 44 days....WHAT IS THE DOLLAR AMOUNT I CAN SUBMIT FOR MEALS/FOOD (daily). I didn't save the coffee or Micky'D receipts. Not to mention ALL the food thrown out between the
frig/freezer and cabinets (didn't have any power for 8 days). I am even going to claim the exterminator, the cat, cat food, and litter I HAD to invest in once all the mice started running around like they pay rent because of the hole in the kitchen wall left
caused by way of the stove yanked from the kitchen wall!!! $) 40 HPD VIOLATIONS... Going on 5 years and they have me in court for Non-Payment of Rent!. Can't pay rent and medical costs incurred by initial incident of 09/05/2005. I have been hospitalized 6
times for items related to the initial water damage incident. Your response/comment is GREATLY...SINCERELY APPRECIATED!!! Thank You!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In general, the meal per diem rates for the federal government are used and generally that is about $70 per day for meals. People do not usually save such receipts and if you take it to court and submit reasonable amounts, which are within the federal government allowance rates, the court will award it to you.