Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A homeless girl ,xxxxxxxxxxx, Knocked on my door.

Customer Question

A homeless girl ,xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Knocked on my door. I am 73 years old and felt sad for her. She is approximately 30+ years old. Her mother has abused her and she has no where to go. I have allowed her to sleep in my bedroom. She has a record with the law. Child Protective Services has taken her son from her. She is unemployed with no where to live. I could be evicted from my apartment if the management learns she is staying in my apartment. WHAT ARE THE LEGAL IMPLICATIONS OF WHAT I AM DOING ???
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
There is no criminal penalty for letting someone to stay with you who is not authorized my the landlord or the management company who represents the landlord. So this would not be a criminal matter.
However, unless the landlord/management company specifically authorizes an occupant, OR, the lease itself allows it, then the landlord/management company may ask her to leave, and if she does not, the landlord/management company may file to evict both of you, treating her as an unauthorized occupant meaning that you materially breached the lease.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.