Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Wondering if I have civil rights case..my drivers license was

Customer Question

Wondering if I have civil rights case..my drivers license was suspended by mistake due to minn an SD..i received a no DL ticket..officer said if is a mistake take proper steps an I will dismiss the ticket..state of Minnesota acknowledged that it shouldn't of happened..i got license back without paying fine or going to court..thought case closed..about 7or8 months later I get suspension letters twice..i responded..officer ignored me...finally he said gave to states attorney...officer lied an did nothing..neither did states attorney..they covered it up..bogus warrant was issued...i arrested..embarrassed an humiliated...they said was my fault..they lied...after being arrested I confronted him..then tried lying again..it was only then dismissed...i was falsely arrested..they neglected to do there jobs because of who I am...bot***** *****ne this should not have happened..i did my part.they were lying an negligent..do I have case against them??
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
There may be a case here, indeed. To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.
Herein, the following may apply, depending on what the officers and prosecutors actually knew or did not know:
FEDERAL
Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141 makes it unlawful for state or local law enforcement agencies to allow officers to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives persons of rights protected by the Constitution or U.S. laws. This includes false arrest and fabrication of evidence.
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law
This statute makes it a crime for any person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom to willfully deprive or cause to be deprived from any person those rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution and laws of the U.S.
Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141
Pattern and Practice
This civil statute was a provision within the Crime Control Act of 1994 and makes it unlawful for any governmental authority, or agent thereof, or any person acting on behalf of a governmental authority, to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct by law enforcement officers or by officials or employees of any governmental agency with responsibility for the administration of juvenile justice or the incarceration of juveniles that deprives persons of rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.
Whenever the Attorney General has reasonable cause to believe that a violation has occurred, the Attorney General, for or in the name of the United States, may in a civil action obtain appropriate equitable and declaratory relief to eliminate the pattern or practice. Types of misconduct covered include, among other things:
1. Excessive Force
2. Discriminatory Harassment
3. False Arrest
4. Coercive Sexual Conduct
5. Unlawful Stops, Searches, or Arrests*
*From FBI Color of Law link - here.
STATE
False arrest - In the context of a claim for false arrest or false imprisonment, "the essential elements of plaintiff's claim for relief are (1) an arrest performed by defendant, and (2) the unlawfulness of such arrest." Lundeen v. Renteria, 302 Minn. 142, 146, 224 N.W.2d 132, 135 (1974).
Malicious prosecution - To state a claim for malicious prosecution, appellant must demonstrate that: (1) the action was brought without probable cause or reasonable belief that the plaintiff would ultimately prevail on the merits; (2) the action must be instituted and prosecuted with malicious intent; and (3) the action must terminate in favor of Plaintiff. Dunham v. Roer, 708 NW 2d 552 - Minn: Court of Appeals 2006 (internal citations omitted). However note that the prosecutor's exercise of his independent discretion in initiating and maintaining a prosecution is generally a complete defense to an action for malicious prosecution. (Id). So there had to have been some malicious intent.
SD has similar laws.
If the officer/prosecutors did engage in covering up a malicious, false prosecution based on an error, before it was finally dropped in one's favor, then the above federal/state laws may apply. I would talk to an attorney as soon as possible. Please let me know if you need help finding someone.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.