Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My manager has written me up because I was not 100% error free

Customer Question

My manager has written me up because I was not 100% error free in my work. Two days later she was heard telling someone else they "only have to do their best". This is just one of the things she has bullied me with and I want to know if it is legal for her to do that?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. It is permissible, believe or not, for an employer to act in this disgusting way - unless the reason for the treatment of you is predicated on discrimination. The employer cannot treat you or any other employee this way based on your age, race, gender or disability. If you believe this treatment is rooted in discrimination, then you have legal protection and can file a complaint with the EEOC for discrimination. You are protected by the law from retaliation if you file an EEOC complaint. The EEOC will look into the matter and if they find merit, will allow you to sue in federal court for damages. To win though, you must be able to show that this is taking place because of discrimination based on an area protected in the law: race, gender, age or disability. Otherwise, this is unethical, but not illegal and there is nothing you can do. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any additional questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Thanks