Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

There, I have a question about restoring my right to

Customer Question

Hello there,
I have a question about restoring my right to own firearm. In 1996 I was arrested for H-S11379 and H-S 11550a in 12/1998 the county of Santa Clara and the State of Cailf. Granted me a record clearance...This was my first and last time with any trouble with the law. I never even gotten a speeding ticket. I live in Az. sometimes its scary place and law enforcement. can be very slow to respond
Thanks,
***** ***** ***@******.***
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Just so I understand correctly, you were charged, but the charges were dropped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pleaded Nolo and the courts set aside the verdict of guilty. in 2002
Having the conviction set aside or expunged in that manner does not automatically restore your right to possess a firearm. You will have to get your firearm rights back under a Rule 17(b) motion, which asks the court to reduce the conviction to a misdemeanor, or specifically restore your rights to possess a firearm under California Penal Code §12021(c)(3). Until you do one of those things, you run the risk of being arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm, either by the state or the feds. My suggestion would be to hire a California lawyer to handle this since it will have to be hashed out in California state court.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my asnwer before you go. Good luck.