Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

What are the time limits to contest a questionable

Customer Question

What are the time limits for intestate to contest a questionable will, specifically, five to six years ago, from a grandmother who passed in a nursing home with, I believe, reasonable grounds by a son who most probably made himself the only heir, axing everyone else in the family, and who couldn't wait to see her die in the nursing home, even though she was in ill health towards the end? No one in the family, my mother and other uncle, wanted to deal with it even though she and I were close--and kept on asking me to get her out of the nursing home so she could go home to die--, I believe, in part so she might have been able to update an angry letter/rendering others in the family she was upset with at the time, even though she was also close with my mother and her other son who lives out of state. Largely due to past upsets in the overall family. Her husband, my grandfather, passed a long time before that. No one will touch it, and when I encountered my uncle at a garage sale some time after that (he has her house and all of the estate, not even a single momento, photograph, or piece of jewelry was left to any of us. I find this despicable, but my mother has been in a nursing home for about two years, in precarious health, and preferred to not contest even though she and her other brother had valid grounds. Help!
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, in what state did the person pass away? Laws as far as contesting a will differ from state to state. Please advise!