Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My father in law (92) met a woman (considerably younger) in

Customer Question

My father in law (92) met a woman (considerably younger) in a parking lot. She convinced him to obtain credit, most at large nationally known department stores -- in the form of either store credit cards or Visa/Mastercard account. She accompanied him to the stores and apparently helped him fill out the applicatons. Cash advances were immediately taken agains the cards sometimes on the same day or over a quick succession of days. Sometime purchases were made but returned later. At some point at one of the stores, somebody expressed some reservations about the situation, but provided the credit anyway.
What obligation does a credit card provider have to monitor for potential elder financial abuse? May thousands of dollars were extracted from him through this ruse. Thanks.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B)If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if your father in law is fully mentally competent?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.