ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

What are my rights in a divroce

Customer Question

what are my rights for alimony in a divroce
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pa.. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. My husband left last night I see he must be planning on staying at a hotel for this week. saw charge on our bank account. We have had to call police in the past. He is a very angry man at times. I'm afraid I will be left with all the bills over $3800 per month and would like to know what happens in that case since I'm self employed he had me leave my job 2 years again because he did not want me to go anywhere?

Thank you. First of all, alimony is not "automatic". It's up to a judge to determine whether or not alimony would be awarded, and the judge will consider a number of statutory factors. You can find these factors, as well The relative earnings of both spouses. The duration of the marriage.The ages and physical, mental and emotional states of the two spouses.The sources of income of both spouses. This includes medical, retirement, insurance or other benefits.The expected future earnings and inheritances of the two spouses.The degree to which one spouse has contributed to the other spouse’s education, training or increased earning potential.The degree to which a spouse will be financially affected by their position as the custodian of a minor child.The standard of living of the spouses established during the marriage.The relative education of the parties. This also considers the amount of time it would take for the spouse seeking alimony to acquire the education or training necessary to find employment.The relative assets and liabilities of the two spouses.The property each spouse brought to the marriage.The degree a spouse contributed as a homemaker.The relative needs of the two spouses.The marital misconduct of either of the spouses during the marriage. “Abuse” is in this context shall have the meaning given to it under Section 6102.The federal, state and local tax consequences of the alimony.Whether the spouse seeking alimony lacks sufficient property, including items in Chapter 35 relating to property rights, to provide for their reasonable needs.Whether the spouse seeking alimony is incapable of supporting themselves through appropriate employment.If, after weighing the relevant factors, the court determines that one spouse is at a significant disadvantage, then the court can order alimony. It's certainly available during the divorce process, but could be available afterwards. Furthermore, a court can order that he pay your attorney fees and costs, if you don't have the means to do so yourself. That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with divorce cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!