Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My husband and I had a contract to buy a place within a time

Customer Question

My husband and I had a contract to buy a place within a time frame. The agreement was if we had showed proof of denial to finance in our name then at time of owners selling we would get half our money back. The contract time was from October 1 ,2013 to April1 2015
On April 6 I let the owner know that we were denied for 12 months to finance in our name due to hospital bills and now I have been sick running up more. We had discussed us possibly moving. So I told her she should put the house on the market because we were no longer going to purchase due to medical conditions.so that day I said we would be out by June or July 1 but I would let her know. With that said . They sold the property and said that they would not be paying us half of our money due to breach of contract. We want to know if this is legal or do we have a case?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, in terms of this 'denial', was this in writing that you could walk away without penalty, or no?