Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

While I have posed a question

Customer Question

While I have posed a question, I am a 23 year old college student struggling to figure out how to recover monies from my dad's girlfriend unfortunately, I don't even have $31 to solicit your response. I thought the site was free. My apologies.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Tell me
Who owes you the money?
When was it loaned?
How much is involved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The live - in friend owes the money back to the estate
The money was never loaned. It is the difference between the funeral cost of $11k and the checks written to the friend from his employer
$11.5k is involved
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thank youAre you the executor of your Dad's estate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Then you will need to file a lawsuit on behalf of the Estate. I suggest, if you wanted to try to settle the amount, you could write a demand letter and tell her you are willing to settle on a certain amount. Now, I mention that because you can sue in Small Claims court for up to $10,000. So if your demand says you will settle for $10,000 and she does not respond, then you can sue in small claims court which makes it easier for you as you can do that without the assistance of an attorney.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
When you write the letter it should be mailed Certified with a Return Receipt Requested. That way you can show a court that you tried to settle out of court and that she got the letter and never responded.