Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My Ex just divorced from her 2nd husband and went back to my

Customer Question

My Ex just divorced from her 2nd husband and went back to my name. Does she gave a legal right to go back to my name? We have children, but I'm not crazy about her doing this & she did not discuss it with me prior to doing it.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer I will provide will not be favorable so please do not blame the messenger. Ultimately you do not own your name--you cannot keep others from using it especially if they have or had a right to it in the past. Since she was once married to you, that is still her 'legal' name even if you are no longer married. As such, unless she is using this name under false pretenses and still claiming marriage to you, it is generally permitted and is her choice. And she also has no duty to discuss her name change with anyone else, just the courts--so she had no duty to ask you for permission or inform you prior to the change.
I am sorry!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.