CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My wife set a appointment with Oral Surgery Associates of Milwaukee,

Customer Question

My wife set a appointment with Oral Surgery Associates of Milwaukee, location in Waukesha, for me to go for dental implants. I was told to be there 30 mins before the appointment to do paperwork. When I got there I was told the Dr Aland Kimmel was available to see me early. The consultation was to see me and my wife and come up with a comprehensive plan financially and get questions we needed answered. Instead the Dr he wasn't sure of a plan for me yet so he told me to come back, give him a week. I was sent out even before our appointment time and my wife came in wondering why the consultation was canceled.
About four days later Oral Surgery Associates of Milwaukee sent us a collection letter charging us $90. We did not receive the consultation or service we deem we should have got. So we feel we are being rip off of $90.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
I do agree, it appears you are being taken advantage of. I also agree it is probably a good idea to pay the bill and dispute it with them afterward - it is foolish to have a $90 bill go to collections and allow it to impact your credit when you can pay and dispute it with them in the future.
To dispute the bill, you can start just the way you did - call them, but make sure to follow up with a letter (see my note on "confirmation letters" below).
You can also file a complaint with the BBB. The BBB is free to consumers, it is fast, and while they do not have any enforcement authority, if you are unsuccessful, you don't compromise your ability to take further action. You can file a BBB complaint online here: bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started.
You can file a complaint with the Wisconsin Attorney General for violation of the business and professions code (the AG's office investigates bad business practices and takes administrative and criminal enforcement action): http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dls/consumer-protection/how-file-complaint
You can ultimately file a small claims case against the dentist, but given the amount at issue this is probably not worth the effort.
I have noted that in a lot of these cases, an invoice is automatically generated by the billing department and once the office is alerted to the issue the dentist or the office manager will correct it (they want to maintain customer satisfaction, they certainly don't want to lose a patient who is going to pay a lot of money for services over a $90 bill), but it is important to follow up in writing in order to make sure you get noticed - phone calls are convenient but they are easily disregarded.
Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.