Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Im in the state of california i run a non profit the

Customer Question

hello im in the state of california i run a non profit the city has stepped in and sent a letter to the owner stating we need a conditional use permit because ive been hosting lots of events and fundraisers. The building is a old carlot but the zoning is c2 general for a museum also. Ive been at this location for 8 months ive already signed contracts with diffrent members to host events that have left deposits for the months of june july aug and sept they cant fine a non profit with license fees so they said that i can no longer hold anymore events or fundraisers until i pay for permit. I dont want to lose funds and return all these deposits or get sued for breech of contract how can i back city off me and continue to move forward until i pay the fee for permit i just need some more time Please...
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): California
What have you tried so far?: ive had a meeting with the city police department, planning and zoning building department and city manager not the results i wanted. I dont want to be in a position were owner gets a fine but i have to move forward withthese events so the non profit can survive

Response: Unfortunately, there is way around this. The permitting fee need to be paid in order for you to continue with your activities. The City cannot and will not let you continue without first obtaining the conditional permit.